Monday, May 13, 2013

Come on by to meet erotic author Denyse Bridger!


Denyse Bridger
Erotic Romance

       This week's guest author is our own Denyse! She has a page on our main website where you can click over to read about her and learn about her books. This week, she's talking to you about those beloved vampires and holding a CONTEST!

The Eternal Fascination  


Regardless of the passage of time, the intrigue of vampire heroes never seems to diminish. There is truly an eternal attraction to these creatures of the night. I’ve often wondered myself what the allure and mystique really is. I’ve written many stories and novels with vampire heroes, yet I rarely read them. (That has changed recently to a small degree because I’ve read all of JR Ward’s Black Dagger Brotherhood books, and enjoyed them, but the ones I feel are really wonderful are Lara Adrian’s Midnight Breed series!)
Having said that, I still find the passion for vampires one that has many sides to it, and all of them are intriguing for various reasons. In the new genre romances, I think we’ve seen a surge of “redemption” stories, whereby the objective is to “restore” the vampire to his humanity, if not his human/mortal state. While the romance of this is appealing on some levels, I much prefer a vampire who is comfortable in his own skin, so to speak. I’m not interested in “curing” the vampire of his curse, so often times those stories are a total disappointment to me.
I also don’t think there is a lot of noble sacrifice in the true vampire. This creature is by very virtue of its existence a mythical power, bound by nothing as mundane as constraints of morality. The traditional vampire is a killer, beyond the reach of mortal law. If your vampire has not streak of cruelty, or indifference to human worries, he loses a great deal of his power and appeal, I think. We look to this mythical being for escapism in reading and film, and while everyone has their vision of a perfect vampire, I believe for myself, that the good-guy vampires are often weaker than the counter-parts they invariably fight.
The sexual aspect of the vampire allure is another of those areas where a lot of personal preference comes into play. Realistically, if you can even use that word in this context, a vampire is not capable of the sex act. However, if you are writing vampire/paranormal romance, you don’t have much of a book if you hero can’t make love to your heroine, so once again, we have that perception thing happening. And once again, just how “dark” is this hero? If you create an ancient vampire, presumably he’s had hundreds of lovers, so the author is challenged to create a heroine who is strongly defined and unique enough to capture the attention and dormant heart of this incredible being. Therein lies the problem of many romances–the heroines are too often irritating, or weak, and you wonder why anyone would want to cherish them forever, especially a man who’s known so many others? All in all, it’s a fine line, and I’m not convinced anyone’s done it real justice even now.
Ultimately, I think vampires are seductive and alluring, but I also think amid that “glamour” there must be an edge of cruelty and power that is restrained and once in awhile brought out to reveal the nature of the beast. It is in those moments, we see the truth of the “curse” of this nocturnal existence. To rob a reader/viewer of the darker aspects is to short-change the entire mythos. The appeal is timeless, and everyone loves these creatures for different reasons, so I think it will go on enduring if writers continue to craft stories that capture the essence of the vampire appeal in some way. I’ve written books myself that experiment with the vision I have, and while not perfect in any way, I do hope they entertain readers.

So, let’s have a contest/giveaway: drop by my website, pick any tale you’d like to read, post the title in a comment, and if your name comes out of the hat, you get the book of your choice! You’ll also get one of these lovely book thongs:




Grab your copy today of her newest book.



Fantasy Pages (general) BLOG

Bound By Passion (adult content) BLOG
 


Twitter: @denysebridger







3 comments:

  1. Hi Ms Denyse, thanks for another great contest! I would love to get my hands on Lost to the Night! Hope you are having a great day! Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Denyse, I would Really Love to Read A whisper of Humanity, Hope your having an Amazing day, And hope to talk again soon! :)

    ReplyDelete